The Wilderness Foundation believes that government and business leaders have an inherent responsibility to act as responsible custodians of the environment through best practice. Sustained economic growth is seen as a necessary priority, but it will continue to put pressure on the Earth’s natural resources unless it is carefully managed and monitored.
The Wilderness Foundation develops environmental standards and information which is used to brief and motivate individuals, governments and society at large towards the higher ideal of conservation and its role in the 21st century.
The Advocacy and Awareness programme focuses on the following key areas:
- Publications (including Environment magazine and educational material);
- Participation in Conservation forums (World Wilderness Congress; Conservation NGO alliance; IUCN);
- Green Leaf Environmental Accreditation Standard;
- Campaigns, Protected Area and Environmental Compliance (Mapumgubwe mining threat and Okavango Delta World heritage listing);
- Actively advocate for the expansion and protection of protected areas.